Banking and Finance
Are you considering a job or internship in finance or banking? Explore these online resources to get started. Feel free to drop by our office to meet with an advisor to help plan.
Explore careers in finance and banking by exploring the links below. Found a career you're interested in? Talk to faculty, stop by our office and begin networking to learn more.
- Vault Guides - (must be on W&L network to access) Provides essential information about key careers and industries, with an emphasis on preparing for a career and getting your foot in the door.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - The OOH can help you find career information on duties, education and training, pay, outlook for hundreds of occupations.
- O*NET OnLine - The nation's primary source of occupational information. It contains information on hundreds of standardized and occupation-specific descriptors. It also provides Career Exploration Tools, a set of valuable assessment instruments for workers and students looking to find or change careers.
- CEI - Internships with America's Top Companies
- Econjobs.org - sponsored by National Association for Business Economics (NABE)
- Federal Reserve Board - Economic research internships
- GE Jobs and Internships
- Idealist - clearinghouse for public interest organizations - search by keyword (e.g., finance, accounting, business)
- InternMatch - Like many industries, finding a job in finance relies on preparation, diligient searching and networking. Be sure to connect with alumni at the firms you are interested in. Additionally, many firms visit campus in the Fall and Winter terms - attend information session and other events to network and learn more.
- Liberal Arts Career Network (LACN)
- National Bureau of Economic Research - search for post-graduate research assistant positions; For non-NBER economics research opportunities, visit here.
One of the best ways to explore careers and find job opportunities is to network with professionals. Below are alumni who have experience in the field and have volunteered to be a resource to you. Not sure how to begin networking? Stop by our office to get started.
To learn about and network with more alumni in the industry, visit the WLUalum Twitter!
Pete Heumann graduated from Washington and Lee in 1967 with a Bachelor of Science in Commerce. After graduation, Pete attended the University of Illinois and graduated with his MBA in 1969. Pete has had a long history of strategic and financial planning, with positions at AT&T Capital Corporation, Williams Scotsman and Heumann Resources, among others. Pete has retired from being a CFO and resides in the Baltimore area. He is happy to speak with students about careers in finance and strategic planning.
Lauren Morea McDonough is a Vice President of Marketing and Portfolio Analysis at Marathon Asset Management. She joined Marathon in 2014 after graduating from Columbia Business School. While in business school, Ms. McDonough interned in fundraising at Z Capital and portfolio analysis at Oaktree Capital. Prior to entering business school, she was an Associate at Blueshirt Group where she managed investor relations for public technology, internet and consumer-focused clients. Ms. McDonough began her career at J.P. Morgan's investment bank as an Analyst on the syndicated and leveraged finance team. Ms. McDonough holds a B.S. in Business Administration from Washington and Lee University and an M.B.A. from Columbia Business School.
Court Nexsen is a Portfolio Manager at Hayek Kallen Investment Management, a $250 million balanced value investing firm. Mr. Nexsen joined the firm upon graduation from the Darden School of Business at the University of Virginia. While in graduate school, Mr. Nexsen was a Portfolio Manager with Darden Capital Management, helping manage more than $6 million of the school's endowment. Prior to business school Mr. Nexsen spent three years with Goldman Sachs & Co. in New York, and has also worked for Harris Williams & Co. in Richmond and Merrill Lynch & Co. in New York. Mr. Nexsen received an M.B.A. from the University of Virginia and a B.A. in Sociology and Anthropology from Washington and Lee University where he lettered in soccer. Mr. Nexsen is an active volunteer with the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, serves as a class agent for Virginia Episcopal School, and is a member of the Alumni Admissions Program for Washington and Lee University.
After graduating with a degree in Business Administration and minor in Mass Communications in 2012, Brian began his career in the Management Development Program at M&T Bank. He was placed in a retail branch in the Greater Washington, D.C. area, and participated in numerous training assignments and networking opportunities in Buffalo, NY, and Baltimore, MD, throughout the training program as well. Brian has since ascended to the role of Commercial Branch Manager, and have earned his FINRA Series 6 and 63 certifications, along with his life insurance license. M&T Bank's management program provides tremendous exposure to banking, and offers a well-rounded experience for those interested in a career in the financial services industry.
Scott graduated in from Washington and Lee in 1985 with a degree in Business Administration. He worked for First Union/Wachovia Securities (now Wells Fargo Securities) for 18 years, in structured and corporate finance. Thereafter, he managed an investment management/advisory business focused on structured finance securities, and is now currently engaged in the commercial insurance industry, focused on professional and management liability insurance. For additional information please refer to the following LinkedIn profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/scottshannon1
Reid is an Assistant Director of Career Advising and Education for the residential MBA program at UVA and focuses on advising students in the areas of entrepreneurship, venture capital, private equity, investment management, and general management. Reid has over seven years of experience in financial services, marketing, and operations. Most recently at YB MoneySpot, a financial technology startup, Reid was Vice President of Market Strategy, overseeing marketing plans, investor relations, and vendor relationship. Reid also worked in marketing and research at Latinum Network where he managed operations and business intelligence. Immediately after Darden, Reid spent four years at BB&T bank in a Leadership Development Program where he focused on financial management, commercial lending and retail banking and oversaw a multicultural initiative, which brought in new retail business for Hispanic clients. Before business school he managed a manufacturing facility in Monterrey, Mexico. Reid is a graduate of Washington & Lee University with a BA in Spanish and has an MBA from the Darden School of Business at the University of Virginia.