Finance and Banking
Are you considering a job or internship in finance or banking? Explore these online resources to get started. Feel free to drop by our office to meet with an advisor to help plan.
Explore careers in the arts by exploring the links below. This is not an all inclusive list of careers but will help you begin exploring. Found a career you're interested in? Talk to faculty, stop by our office and begin networking to learn more.
- Budget Analysts
- Chief Executives
- Credit Analysts
- Energy Brokers
- Financial Analysts
- Financial Managers
- Financial Quantitative Analysts
- Fraud Examiners, Investigators and Analysts
- Investment Fund Managers
- Investment Underwriters
- Management Analysts
- Operations Research Analysts
- Personal Financial Advisors
- Sales Agents, Financial Services
- Sales Agents, Securities and Commodities
- Securities and Commodities Traders
- Treasurers and Controllers
- Like many industries, finding a job in finance relies on preparation, diligient searching and networking. Be sure to connect with alumni at the firms you are interested in. Additionally, many firms visit campus in the Fall and Winter terms - attend information session and other events to network and learn more.
One of the best ways to explore careers and find job opportunities is to network with professionals. Below are alumni who have experience in the field and have volunteered to be a resource to you. Not sure how to begin networking? Stop by our office to get started.
Pete Heumann graduated from Washington and Lee in 1967 with a Bachelor of Science in Commerce. After graduation, Pete attended the University of Illinois and graduated with his MBA in 1969. Pete has had a long history of strategic and financial planning, with positions at AT&T Capital Corporation, Williams Scotsman and Heumann Resources, among others. Pete has retired from being a CFO and resides in the Baltimore area. He is happy to speak with students about careers in finance and strategic planning.
Court Nexsen is a Portfolio Manager at Hayek Kallen Investment Management, a $250 million balanced value investing firm. Mr. Nexsen joined the firm upon graduation from the Darden School of Business at the University of Virginia. While in graduate school, Mr. Nexsen was a Portfolio Manager with Darden Capital Management, helping manage more than $6 million of the school's endowment. Prior to business school Mr. Nexsen spent three years with Goldman Sachs & Co. in New York, and has also worked for Harris Williams & Co. in Richmond and Merrill Lynch & Co. in New York. Mr. Nexsen received an M.B.A. from the University of Virginia and a B.A. in Sociology and Anthropology from Washington and Lee University where he lettered in soccer. Mr. Nexsen is an active volunteer with the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, serves as a class agent for Virginia Episcopal School, and is a member of the Alumni Admissions Program for Washington and Lee University.
After graduating with a degree in Business Administration and minor in Mass Communications in 2012, Brian began his career in the Management Development Program at M&T Bank. He was placed in a retail branch in the Greater Washington, D.C. area, and participated in numerous training assignments and networking opportunities in Buffalo, NY, and Baltimore, MD, throughout the training program as well. Brian has since ascended to the role of Assistant Manager, and have earned his FINRA Series 6 and 63 certifications, along with his life insurance license. M&T Bank's management program provides tremendous exposure to banking, and offers a well-rounded experience for those interested in a career in the financial services industry.
Scott graduated in from Washington and Lee in 1985 with a degree in Business Administration. He has spent my entire career in structured finance, working for 18 years for Wachovia Securities (now Wells Fargo Securities) in the Asset Securitization Group, and started an asset management firm that invested in mortgage-backed bonds, which we managed from 2005-2013.
- 2015 Banking Rankings
- Vault Guides - A go-to resource for researching, preparing for interviews and staying up-to-date on the field.
- Spotlight on Careers: Corporate Finance
- Spotlight on Careers: International Business
- Spotlight on Careers: Insurance
- Spotlight on Careers: Investment Banking
- Popular Careers for Math Majors via Mathematical Association of America