Recommended Timeline for Students
Junior Year – Winter and Spring Term
- Begin research. Visit school Web sites and talk to professionals in your field of interest.
- Talk with faculty members and advisors.
- Register for and take admission tests. Depending on your area of study, scores can be good for 2-5 years so plan accordingly.
- Consider W&L's 'spring term option' as a time to study, prepare, and take admissions tests.
- Think about who you would want to write your letters of recommendation.
- Visit Career Development to make a plan. Timelines do vary. For example, students interested in medical school will need to start this process earlier, as there are many requirements and a longer application period.
- Decide where you will apply. Contact your schools of interest to ask questions about the admissions process and requirements. Plan visits to these schools.
- Register for and take admission tests.
Senior Year – Fall Term
- Ask professors and other references to write letters of recommendation.
- Work on your personal statement. Share with professors, Career Development, friends and family to get feedback.
- Register for and take admission tests if you have not done so already.
- Begin filling out applications. Some deadlines will fall late in the term.
- Request your official transcript from the Registrar's Office. You will need to send one with each application.
Senior Year – Winter Term
- Submit the rest of your applications. Many deadlines will fall in January.
- Research financial aid options and turn in all of your necessary paperwork.
- Check with all schools just before the deadline to make sure that your application file is complete.
- Wait for admission decisions.
- Go to accepted student days for the schools into which you were accepted.
- Thank those who helped you along the way, and update them on your decisions and plans for the coming year.