The University Card

There are many different student uses for your University Card in a variety of locations. Among those uses:

Dorm, Sorority and Building Access

All residence halls, sororities and many academic buildings have controlled exterior door access. Cards can be "swiped" in the door reader to unlock these doors. Public Safety controls whose cards will activate these doors.

Meal Plan Access

Use your card to access your meal plans through Dining Services. Every first-year student is required to have the Full Board meal plan. Dining Services personnel will be happy to answer questions about using your meal plan at the Marketplace, Cafe Emporium, E. Cafe or the Law School Brief Stop.

If you have a meal plan, you are also eligible for Food Flex, tax exempt debits, which can be used in the above locations. All money in this account must be used by the end of the academic year and cannot be refunded or transferred. Money must be put on the card in $25 increments. Deposits can be made at Auxiliary Services Office and the Business Office during normal business hours.  After hours and on weekends, deposits can be made and charged home in the Marketplace.

Food items purchased in the Cafe Emporium, E. Cafe and Law School Brief Stop can be paid for by using your "food flex". Only students having a meal plan can purchase food flex dollars.

Use the Washers and Dryers in the Dorm Laundry Rooms

All laundry rooms are equipped with card readers where you can use General Debit funds to activate the washers and dryers. Washers: $1.25 per cycle Dryers: $1.25 per cycle. Although the machines will accept cash, you are encouraged to use your University Card to pay for your laundry time. Laundry rooms are located in:

  • Graham-Lees Residence Hall
  • Gilliam Residence Hall
  • Gaines Hall (offline Fall term)
  • Woods Creek East
  • Woods Creek West
  • All Sororities

Make Purchases at the University Bookstore

Buy your textbooks or many other items from the Bookstore. Use your University Card to charge items (restrictions apply) or access your General Debit funds to make purchases.

General Debit

Money can be placed in this account on your card to be used for microfilm, laundry, vending machines and the Bookstore (purchases under the $10 charging minimum).

microfilm: 10¢

General Debits are transferrable, refundable and carry over from one academic year to the next.

Recommendation: $100

Check Out Books and Other Materials From W&L Libraries

You can use your University Card to check out materials at both the Leyburn Library and Law Library.

Pay for Tickets or Merchandise at Campus Events

Many organizations on campus use portable card readers to allow you to pay for a special one-time event that is taking place on campus. Carry your University Card everywhere you go. You never know when you may want to use it!

Putting money into General Debit and Food Flex Accounts

Money can be added to your University Card with cash, check or charging to your University account, by coming to Auxiliary Services or the Business Office. The student will specify by account, how much money to apply. More funds can be added to the card as it gets low. Minimum deposit $25. Each time you use your University Card for a purchase, the register will display your remaining balance.

Students and Guest can also make deposits to their University Card by visiting the W&L eCard web site using a credit card.  VISA, Mastercard and Discover accepted.  Other features of the site include checking your balance, viewing recent transactions and you can suspend your card.

Deposits can be made with cash, check or by charging to your University Account. Statements of charges will be mailed from the Business Office by the 15th of each month. Any entry on the statement as "Auxiliary Services" would be for deposits made or replacement fee ($20) of a lost card.

*Parents/Guardians who wish to limit or deny charging may do so by writing to the Business Office.

If You Lose Your Card

If you lose your card, contact the Card Office located in Auxiliary Services, ext. 8917. The record of your card will be changed in the system to prevent usage of charging, food flex, general debits, and access to doors. To gain access to your account again, you must have your card replaced or reinstated. Auxiliary Services handles replacement of lost cards and will charge a $20 fee. Defective or damaged cards (due to normal wear and tear) will be replaced at no charge, if returned to the Auxiliary Services Office.

Business Office Hours:

  • Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
  • Wednesday 8:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.

Auxiliary Services Hours:

  • Monday - Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. (Closed 12 - 1)